Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Football & Family!

This week started out with a BANG! I was on call on Labor Day and boy did I labor! The first call came in around 9 AM and my day finally ended around 11 PM! All-in-all things went well and it was good to have a long, productive day. I was most relieved to have my first dystocia out of the way. Dystocia means "difficult birth." Honestly I've been pretty surprised that it took over a month before I had to go pull a calf. When I got to the farm the farmer said, "Well, there's a foot sticking out." My nerves settled quite a bit then.This gentleman very rarely intervenes on his own and usually calls us at the first suspicion that something is wrong. The good news is that we delivered the calf fairly quickly. The bad news is, the calf had already passed away before I got there. That was unfortunate, but I was ultimately relieved that my first dystocia wasn't that difficult after all. Tuesday started my new schedule of being on small animal at the beginning of the week, off on Wednesdays, and on large animal at the end of the week. Tuesday was pretty busy, especially being the day after a holiday.

Here in Virginia, most JV football games are played on Wednesdays rather than Thursdays like in North Carolina. Clark has agreed to run the scoreboard for the home JV games and this week was the first game! Since I was off I decided to join him. It was fun sitting up in the press box! Talk about a view...


And Riverheads won the game!!

Friday evening we traveled to Washington & Lee University in Lexington, VA to see my family! The Meredith Angels were in town for a volleyball tournament! It was so great to see my family and cheer on my sister and the other players as they faced some really tough teams! It was also fun learning about another little town in Virginia. Lexington is home to not one, but two universities: Washington & Lee and the Virginia Military Institute. And it just so happened that they both had home football games this weekend- so things were interesting to say the least! The volleyball games ran pretty late Friday night, so we grabbed a late dinner at Macado's. The food was pretty good- great place for a sandwich and the onion rings were awesome! However, it was Friday night and the place was packed with cadets, some of which were getting an early start on their weekend celebrations. Overall, I'd eat there again...just not on a Friday night :) Saturday morning we met Mom and Dad for breakfast at Country Cookin then headed over to the university to watch the rest of the games. Once they had finished up, we saw Molly and the Angels off and then grabbed lunch at Pure Eats. The lady taking our order said they had been voted best burger in the Shenandoah Valley. They were good...but pricey! Pure Eats are also known of their donuts, but if you want one of those, you need to get there when the door opens. The lady told us that the "Donut Divas" arrive at 4:30 am, the store opens at 8:00 am, and by 10:30 they are sold out of the 250 they have prepared. If we end up in Lexington again, I hope to swing by and try out their donuts!

Saturday evening we were looking forward to seeing Dailey & Vincent, our favorite bluegrass band at the Augusta County Expo. However, on the way home from Lexington I started feeling under weather. Being the awesome husband that he is, Clark offered to stay home with me but I sent him on to enjoy the show. He said it was a great! Today has been full of rest and recuperation so that I will hopefully be 100% for work in the morning. We look forward to resuming our search for a church soon.

This week should bring more fun, travel, and adventures! Hope you have a great week! 

2 comments:

  1. Jenna- Last week I traveled some in Virginia and think I was about an hour away from you! One of my company's sales reps and I visited the Virginia Tech Fruit Research Center then headed up to Penn State's Research Center...The valley is so beautiful!!! Y'all picked a wonderful place to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kara! If that was in Winchester, then you were probably about 1.5 hour north of us. But I imagine you might have traveled up 81 to get there, so it's likely you came through Staunton! Sounds like a fun trip! We do love the valley and I can't wait until fall!!

      Delete