Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

First Week of Work....Check!

Wow! It's hard to believe my first week in the real world has already passed! It was an awesome week that affirmed that I was in the right job in an awesome profession. God is so good!

Someone suggested that I take a "first day of work" picture. It was a great idea, but Clark was in NC Monday so I didn't get one in the morning. However, once I got home, I couldn't resist...
In general, I'm not a fan of selfies, but in the case I didn't have a choice :)
My day ended by standing out in the pouring down rain trying to jump off my dead vet truck! No, I didn't take it as a bad omen... but more as a "welcome to the profession." Veterinarians, especially large animal vets, are always put in inopportune situations and have to make the most with what they have. So I found the whole scenario rather appropriate. It took a couple days and a new battery, but the truck is now ready to hit the road!  One of the highlights of the first day was having one of the receptionist walk into the barn with these...
So beautiful! Picture definitely does not do them justice! 
Even though Clark couldn't be here for my first day of work, he still managed to make the day special and let me know he was proud of me and loved me. (I've mentioned that I'm blessed, right?) The rest of my week included working calves, seeing a horse with a puncture wound on its jaw, a mini foal, a couple dairy cows, a 2 day old pygmy goat kid, and dogs and cats during my small animal day Friday. My biggest regret is that I was unable to snap a pic of the sheep who came in wearing a visor, diaper, and shorts who was there for its "mani-pedi." When I wasn't seeing patients I was working on stocking the truck, figuring out the computer system, and overall learning the logistics of the practice. Two of the owners even took me out at different times during the week to meet some clients and show me around the area. I loved driving into the country down winding roads, surrounded by corn fields on each side, and farms peppering the Shenandoah landscape.  Just one of the many confirmations throughout the week that let me know I was where I was supposed to be. I've already learned a lot this week and know that each day will be a learning experience. I wish I was a little more confident, but I have amazing colleagues that are mentoring me and a great support staff that seem to be 3 steps ahead of me. I couldn't imagine being in a better place!
As great as the work week has been, I am glad that the weekend is here. Clark returned to VA last night with another trailer load and our great friend Bob the Builder. We are so lucky to have Bob here this weekend to help build the fence for the dogs. Not only is Bob in town, but some other special visitors (nameless for now ;)) have made their first trip to Staunton as well! I hope to get some time tomorrow to show them all the clinic and around the area. So happy and blessed- Life is Good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment