Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Wonderful Weekend!

What a wonderful weekend! We had a full house and I loved it! I mentioned last post that we had two VERY special visitors...my parents made their first trip to Staunton! They drove up Friday toting some tupperwares and boxes of the last odds and ends. They arrived during my lunch break, so we were able to meet at the Tastee Freez to grab some grub and then I headed back to work. I came home to find Dad slaving away with Clark and Bob working on the fence and that my mother had emptied and put away most of the stuff from the boxes! The fellas made excellent progress Friday and stopped working in time to have dinner at Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant and Bakery for some southern fare.
Source
Supper was great, but dessert was the best! I can vouch that their Peanut butter pie is a winner! 

The next morning we met at our favorite breakfast joint- Kathy's
Source
This is the place where it all started! It was here that we met the owners of Westwood for the first time! The folks at Kathy's tout the best breakfast in Staunton, and as of right now it is uncontested! After breakfast the guys finished up the fence. And it looks wonderful!!!






It's so perfect and Clark and I are so thankful for Dad and Bob's help in making it happen!





Mom and Dad headed home a little after lunch. I can't wait to have them visit again so we can show them around some more. We took a few hours to relax, introduced Bob to the wonder that is the Nutter Butter Tastee Freez, then went gallivanting around Augusta County. We landed back in downtown Staunton and had dinner at The Clocktower.
If it's not obvious by now, Clark and I LOVE to go out to eat. I would maybe consider us amateur foodies. So far the Staunton food scene has exceeding our expectations! We strolled down Beverly St. and passed The Split Banana. Apparently Bob's ice cream compartment is just like mine... never full... so before I knew it were were topping off the evening with delicious gelato.

On Sunday everyone had headed back to NC. However, I didn't have to spend the day alone! My friend and classmate, Katherine, is doing an internship at Virginia Tech which is only about 2 hours away from Staunton. Katherine had the weekend off so she rode up for the day! It was so great hanging out and catching up on all the exciting things that have happened since graduation. We went and drove around the countryside and then explored a little downtown. For dinner we pulled into Wright's Dairy Rite for some good old fashioned hamburgers and hot dogs.
It was so good! I was so happy to find a place where I could get a hot dog "Carolina style" with chili and slaw! Mmmm Mmmm! And as if I hadn't consumed enough calories this weekend, we split a Wright's Wheelie for dessert.

Somewhere under there is a donut! 
As you can see this weekend was jam packed- but I loved it! Getting to show folks around gives me a greater appreciation for the awesome things Staunton and the surrounding area has to offer. However, if this keeps up, I'm really going to have to work on my self control!

2 comments:

  1. All these restaurants look awesome... and the fence looks great! I am glad that someone else finds it acceptable to eat ice cream multiple times a day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yes... I was worried a little about receiving judgement about all the ice cream.. I'm glad I've got at least one compadre :)

      Delete