Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

One is Silver and the Other is Gold

The past several months have brought a range of emotions that I've never experienced before. There was relief as the clock struck midnight on New Year's and it was finally 2013 and I could finally say I was graduating this year. There was excitement each time I was contacted by a practice that wanted to arrange an interview. There was disappointment when a practice I liked decided to go with someone else. There was joy as each week ticked on closer to graduation and embarrassment as I realized that day would come and pass with me still being unemployed. There was happiness in knowing I was finally done with school...forever; and sadness with the realization that my friends and classmates were literally scattering across the country. And after being home a couple of weeks and struggling with feeling useless there was finally, finally ELATION. I finally got a job!

Next week I start work as a mixed animal veterinarian at Westwood Animal Hospital in Staunton,Virginia. The practice is full of wonderful people and beautiful located in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley.

Source
Not only is this seemingly my dream job, but I already know that I have an awesome colleague since my friend and classmate Erin is joining the practice as well! 

But even after accepting a job offer, there has been a whole new flood of mixed emotions to deal with. Of course there's the elation I mentioned earlier. But there was sadness again thinking about leaving the friends, family, and life we built in China Grove. There was also a lot of guilt with taking Clark away from one of the best ag programs and FFAs in the state. (Disclaimer- Clark had nothing to do with that guilt, he has been on board 100% of the way!) In one word- bittersweet.

Ultimately though, I am feeling. BLESSED.  God has given me an awesome job, understanding family and friends who are encouraging me to pursue my dreams, and an amazing, supportive husband who has shown no resistance and made great sacrifices for this new journey to happen. The whole experience has been a real lesson in pride, humility, faith, and patience. I didn't doubt that God had a plan. I was just really, really ready to know what that plan was. There is a popular quote by Neal Maxwell that says, "Faith in God includes faith in His timing."  Yup, needed to hear that one everyday. And now the blessings keep coming. Job- check. House- check (and it's so cute! Pics to come later this week). We know that God has worked things out so far and we are confident that He's got a great job in Staunton for Clark as well. 

So while we will greatly miss the life we are leaving behind, we are really excited about the opportunities awaiting us in Virginia. Every time we visit we have a sense of "home" and we feel like we will adjust to life in Staunton easily. I can't help but thing of the rhyme we all learned as kids: 

Make New Friends
But Keep the Old
One is Silver 
And the Other is Gold

We cherish everyone and everything in North Carolina and we can't wait to share the new life we're creating! 




**The views expressed in this blog are strictly my own and not those of Westwood Animal Hospital or of any person or organization or affiliated with Westwood Animal Hospital. **

No comments:

Post a Comment